Brief History of Grace Church
The first male communicant of
Grace, Carthage was T.H. Hammond, baptized in 1856. The parish was organized
in 1860 and there were 21 in the first communion class, confirmed by the
Rt. Rev. William Delancey, Bishop of Western New York. The Roman Catholics
had built their first church in 1818 on the site of their present church.
It was a little wooden building of Gothic archticture and was sold to a
committee from Grace Church in 1866. It was moved across the street the
same year. A house and lot next to the church were purchased in 1871. Our
first rector was the Rev. L. R. Brower who stayed six years. He was later
elected Bishop of Montana. On October 20, 1884 the great Carthage fire
burned the church and rectory as well as destroying the greater part of
the village. Services were held for a time in Mechanic's Hall located on
the third floor of a brick building, once owned by Walsh Furniture. Members
of our parish rebuilt their homes and a building fund was started for a
new brick church and frame rectory. The church was completed in 1887 and
the rectory in 1888. In 1907 a new organ was installed. The basement of
the church was excavated and made into the present parish hall in 1915.
We are a community excited about
Jesus Christ, where the Christian life as revealed by Him is lived out
and shared with others through: Episcopal worship, Christian education,
Christian nuture, forgiveness and trust.