AAUW-St. Lawrence County Branch
AAUW advocates for women and girls - not corporate special interests.
The branches of District 7 - the Jefferson County & St. Lawrence County Branches - underwrote the WPBS-TV showing of The Makers series in February 2013.
The WPBS video special panel discussion that preceded the Half the Sky PBS national broadcast event on Oct. 1 & 2. This was underwritten by the branches of District 7 - the Jefferson County & St. Lawrence County Branches.
The St. Lawrence County Branch was formed in 1927 - Celebrating 86 years in 2013!
We have 69 members from a diverse educational and employment background who work together to fulfill the mission of the American Association of University Women: to advance equity for women and girls through advocacy, education and research. Membership in the St. Lawrence County Branch is open to anyone who supports the mission of AAUW. In principle and practice, AAUW values and seeks a diverse membership. There are no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or class.
The St. Lawrence County Branch created the first AAUW Branch website in the country!
The AAUW Educational Opportuntities Fund provides funds to advance education, research, and self-development for women and to foster equity and positive societal change.
The AAUW Legal Advocacy Fund provides funding and a support system for women seeking judicial redress for sex discrimination.
May is Mental Health Awareness Month
May 30 - June 1: National Conference for College Women Student Leaders at the University of Maryland, College Park.
Early-bird registration for the 28th annual National Conference for College Women Student Leaders is open! Encourage women student leaders to attend this fantastic, skill-building conference that motivates young women to become the leaders of tomorrow!
June 4: #NY4Women Rally & Lobby Day in Albany! Thousands of New Yorkers will converge on the state Capitol to rally and lobby for Governor Cuomo's Women's Equality Agenda. Register for this rally in the North Country WEA Region!
June 9-12: The AAUW National Convention, “Leading Across Generations,” will be held at the Sheraton New Orleans Hotel.
June 10: 50th Anniversary of the Equal Pay Act
June 12: Branch anuual meeting and picnic. A 6 pm pot luck picnic supper for AAUW members and their families; we'll have a movie for the young people and good food and fellowship for the adults at the home of branch president Jen Ball.
2011-12 Committee Chairs
- Public Policy: Kathleen Stein
- Congratulations to Kathy Stein who received a AAUW-NYS Public Policy Director's Special Leadership Recognition Award at the Lake Placid Convention
- North Country Matters: Strategies to Maintain Educational Solvency in Fiscally Challenging Times - an interview with St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES School Superintendent Tom Burns who discusses some short and long term strategies school districts can look at to meet the fiscal challenges facing North Country schools. (March 29, 2013)
- North Country Matters: Superintendent Pat Brady discusses the Financial Situation at Potsdam Central (March 7, 2013)
- North Country Matters: The Human Wrong Campaign (March 7, 2013)
- AAUW in the News: North Country groups join New York Women’s Equality Coalition to advance governor’s women’s agenda (March 5, 2013)
- The NYS's Women's Equality Agenda
- AAUW in the News: The 10-Point NYS Women’s Equality Agenda: At a time when many state legislatures and governors are moving backwards on equality for women, New York is taking an aggressive and proactive leadership role on women’s issues. Addie Russell, the Chair of the Assembly's Task Force on Women's Issues, discusses the Agenda.
- AAUW in the News:The 2013 Governor's Education Budget, a discussion with Assemblywoman Addie Russell who talks candidly about the many public schools in New York in danger of falling off the fiscal cliff.
- AAUW in the News: Cuomo’s Women’s Equality Agenda will have local impact (Jan. 31, 2013)
- Violence Issues to Watch
- Finding Common Ground on K-12 Education, a video news magazine is now on YouTube! (Jan. 31, 2012)
- AAUW In the News: The AAUW Footsteps Project - Young Women's Politcal Forum - watch the video of women student leaders from Clarkson University in conversation with Addie Jenne Russell, Assemblywoman for the 118th Assembly District of NY. They discuss the opportunities and challenges for young women considering politics, governance and public service as a career path. (April 12, 2011)
- AAUW Report: The Simple Truth About the Gender Pay Gap
- The AAUW Footsteps Project: Elect HER!
- Census and Redistricting Issues
- Veteran's and Military Issues
- First Session - 113th Congress: Recent Votes by Rep. Bill Owens
- First Session - 113th Congress: Most Recent Senate Votes
- Federal Public Policy Issues to Watch
- St. Lawrence County's State and Federal Representatives
St. Lawrence County College/University Partners:
- Clarkson University: Jennifer Ball
- St. Lawrence University: Dayle Burgess
- SUNY Canton: Betty Connolly
- SUNY Potsdam: Margaret Madden
- AAUW's College/University Partner Member Program provides educational institutions the opportunity to easily share all the benefits of AAUW with their students, faculty, and staff. Partners collaborate with branches on community programs, receive national visibility, and benefit from AAUW's powerful network that supports them and advocates on their behalf.
- As an AAUW college/university partner, all of your undergraduate students are immediately eligible for FREE e-student affiliate memberships. E-student affiliates receive electronic copies of AAUW's publications and research and have access to all AAUW's student affiliate benefits, including the vast array of leadership and professional development resources, the more than $3 million in fellowships, grants, and awards, access to local branch scholarships, and opportunities for networking and outreach on campus and beyond through collaborations with local branches on relevant community initiatives.
2013 AAUW-NYS Convention Recognitions:
- 2013 Newsletter Award of Excellent: St. Lawrence County
- 2013 Public Policy Taking Award
- 2013 Get Out the Vote Action Award
- NYS Women's Equality Agenda Leadership Branch
- 2013 Equal Pay Day Action Award
- Best Use of Op-Eds to Educate the Public Award
- Best Use of Public Access TV and YouTube
- 2013 Emerging Leader for St. Lawrence County Branch: Betty Connolly
- 2012 Legal Advocacy Fund Awards:
- Top 5 Evvie Currie Giving Circle Contributions
- 5 Star Branch w/$5 or more per member
- Top 10 Branch Per Capita LAF Contributions
Read the remarks of Mitzi Witchger, GREAT! who was the keynoter for our Celebrating 35 Years of Change: Title IX & Girls' & Women's Sports event on March 5, 2007. Hear an audio interview with her on NCPR!
Read the Executive Summary of the KIDS at RISK: A North Country Forum, held on Sept. 24, 2005.
Toxic Tide: No Place to Hide - A Preliminary Report on Cancer and the Environment in the North Country - from the 1998 Cross-Border Conference.
See the lastest news from on AAUW STEM.
You can reach the branch by e-mail.
Updated May 18, 2013