AAUW-St. Lawrence County Branch
AAUW advocates for women and girls - not corporate special interests.
The St. Lawrence County Branch was formed in 1927 - Celebrating 87 years in 2014!
We have 60 members from a diverse educational and employment background who work together to fulfill the mission of the American Association of University Women: Advancing equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research. Membership in the St. Lawrence County Branch is open to anyone who supports the mission of AAUW. In principle and practice, AAUW values and seeks a diverse membership. There are no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or class.
The St. Lawrence County Branch created the first AAUW Branch website in the country!
The AAUW Educational Opportuntities Fund provides funds to advance education, research, and self-development for women and to foster equity and positive societal change.
The AAUW Legal Advocacy Fund provides funding and a support system for women seeking judicial redress for sex discrimination.
AAUW-St. Lawrence County Branch, PO Box 909, Potsdam, NY 13676-0909.
January 11: Human Trafficking Awareness Day
January 19: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Januray 22: Branch Board meeting at Clarkson's new Snell Hall in Room 346 at 4:30 pm.
- President: Betty Connolly
- Membership VP: JoAnn Rogers
- Congratulations to our 2014 Emerging Leader for St. Lawrence County Branch: JoAnn Rogers
- Want to renew your dues on-line at AAUW? Here's how!
- It’s GRADUATION season, and with that comes the question of gifts. How about the beginning of a life - time of friendship in AAUW? Through the national program you can (at no cost to yourself) give someone a FREE one-year national membership. AAUW-NYS waives one year’s dues for “GGG” recipients, as does our branch. Please note that only members can be the providers of these gifts and they must be given within two years of the recipient’s graduation. Think about it for your students, daughters, granddaughters, friends, nieces, etc. – a great deal for all!
- The Perfect Gift for College Grads
- Learn how to become an E-Student Affiliate for free!
- Join or Renew your membership today!
- What Makes Women Decide to Join or Stay in an Organization Today? presented by Claudia Richards: AAUW, Senior Branch Field Relations Manager, at the AAUW New York State Summer Leadership Conference on July 16, 2011
- Program VP: Tina Flannagan
AAUW Development VP: Sue Rice
2014-15 Committee Chairs
- Public Policy: Kathleen Stein
Watch North Country Matters - the local video public affairs magazine produced by WCKN under the direction of Dan Dullea of the Center for Excellence in Communication at Clarkson University. The NCM civic partners working to educate North Country residents about critical public policy issues facing our region include AAUW-St. Lawrence County, the League of Women Voters of St. Lawrence County, and Clarkson Media and Mass Communication students, who provide the technical expertise for the productions. The shows are filmed at the WCKN studio on the Clarkson campus.
- North Country Matters: Congresswoman Connie Morella discusses her career and life. (Dec. 3, 2014)
- North Country Matters: Marie Regan, Town of Potsdam Check-up (Nov. 7 2014)
- North Country Matters: Andrea Montgomery, Director of the St. Lawrence Office of the Aging (Oct. 31, 2014)
- North Country Matters: Jeanette Zoeckler, Occupational Health Clinical Center Project Manager, The Low-Wage Workers' Health Project (Oct. 31, 2014)
- North Country Matters: The Canton-Potsdam School Merger - Canton School Superintendent William A. Gregory and Potsdam School Superintendent Patrick H. Brady talk with Donna Seymour and Ann Carvill about the upcoming Canton Potsdam School Merger straw vote on Oct. 30. (Oct. 24, 2014)
- North Country Matters: Steve Todd, the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES Superintendent, talks about his BOCES district, the Common Core, STEM and Career and Technical Education with Donna Seymour and Ann Carvill. (Oct. 24, 2014)
- North Country Matters: The AAUW Student Leadership Conference with Lynn Fox, local Chair for AAUW- St. Lawrence County Branch (Oct. 21, 2014)
- North Country Matters: Conversation with a Candidate: Daniel Martin, for District 9 on the St. Lawrence County Legislature (Oct. 21, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Conversation with a Candidate: Jim Bunstone, for the District 10 on the St. Lawrence County Legislature (Oct. 14, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Conversation with a Candidate: Chad Colbert, for the District 11 on the St. Lawrence County Legislature (Oct. 10, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Conversation with a Candidate: Steve Putman, for the District 9 on the St. Lawrence County Legislature (Oct. 10, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Conversation with a Candidate: Donald J. Hooper, for the District 1 on the St. Lawrence County Legislature (Oct. 7, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Conversation with a Candidate: Joe Timmerman, for the District 10 on the St. Lawrence County Legislature (Oct. 7, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month with Valarie Dana and Caitlin Hill from Renewal House (Oct. 3, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Conversation with a Candidate: Addie J. Russell, Candidate for the 116th Assembly (Sept. 23, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Greg Hart from the Regional Workforce Development Institute (Sept. 16, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: Dr. Zvi Szafran, the new President of SUNY Canton (Sept. 16, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: John F. Richey, candidate for Judge of the St. Lawrence County Surrogate Court (Sept. 9, 2014)
- North Country Matters Video: St. Lawrence County Community Food Security Assessment with Heather Sullivan-Caitlin (Sept. 12, 2014)
- Immigration and Border Issues to Watch
- Check out the newCommon Core Issues to Watch
- Human Trafficking Issues
- Check out the new Pay Equity
- Pregnancy & Family Leave Discrimination
- Poverty Issues
- Violence Issues to Watch
- AAUW Report: The Simple Truth About the Gender Pay Gap
- Elect HER!
- Veteran's and Military Issues
- Second Session - 113th Congress: 2014 Votes by Rep. Bill Owens
- Second Session - 113th Congress: 2014 Senate Votes
- Federal Public Policy Issues to Watch
- St. Lawrence County's State and Federal Representatives
St. Lawrence County College/University Partners:
- Clarkson University: Jennifer Ball
- St. Lawrence University: Dayle Burgess
- SUNY Canton: Betty Connolly
- SUNY Potsdam: Margaret Madden
- AAUW's College/University Partner Member Program provides educational institutions the opportunity to easily share all the benefits of AAUW with their students, faculty, and staff. Partners collaborate with branches on community programs, receive national visibility, and benefit from AAUW's powerful network that supports them and advocates on their behalf.
- As an AAUW college/university partner, all of your undergraduate students are immediately eligible for FREE e-student affiliate memberships. E-student affiliates receive electronic copies of AAUW's publications and research and have access to all AAUW's student affiliate benefits, including the vast array of leadership and professional development resources, the more than $3 million in fellowships, grants, and awards, access to local branch scholarships, and opportunities for networking and outreach on campus and beyond through collaborations with local branches on relevant community initiatives.
2014 AAUW-NYS Convention Awards for AAUW-St. Lawrence County Branch:
- Special Leadership Recognition Award: Kathleen Stein, Canton, for her work as the branch Public Policy Chair.
- St. Lawrence County Branch Emerging Leader: Membership VP, JoAnn Rogers, Canton.
- Programming: Platinum Award for Marketing the Mission!
- Membership: Special Recognition for Branch Growth & Retention in 2013-14.
- Visibility Award of Distinction (all categories)
- Social Media Award of Distinction
- 21st Century Communications Award of Distinction for Newsletters/Print Media;
- Short Films Award of Distinction
- AAUW Web Award of Distinction for Communications/Visibility
- Public Policy:
- 2014 Equal Pay Day Advocacy Award
- Gold star Public Policy Action Award
- Educating Members through the Newsletter
- Community Outreach and Education for the North Country Matters videos
- Best Use of OpEds to Educate the Community.
- Philanthropy and Giving - total of $2,370 in 2013
- Top Ten Branch for Total Unrestricted AAUW Funds contributions
- Top Ten Leadership Program Fund contributions
- Top Ten for Total Public Policy Fund contributions.
- Legal Advocacy Fund recognition as a
- LAF Star Branch for $5 or more per capita contributions -
- Top 10 LAF Branch Contributions - 6th place ($12.34)
- Top 5 Evvie Currie Giving Circle contributor - 3rd place ( $536)
Read the remarks of Mitzi Witchger, GREAT! who was the keynoter for our Celebrating 35 Years of Change: Title IX & Girls' & Women's Sports event on March 5, 2007. Hear an audio interview with her on NCPR!
Read the Executive Summary of the KIDS at RISK: A North Country Forum, held on Sept. 24, 2005.
Toxic Tide: No Place to Hide - A Preliminary Report on Cancer and the Environment in the North Country - from the 1998 Cross-Border Conference.
See the lastest news from on AAUW STEM.
You can reach the branch by e-mail.
Updated December 18, 2014