AAUW's Named Scholarship
AAUW's Named Scholarship History
Begun in 1932 as an Emergency Loan Fund for college students, the AAUW Memorial Scholarship evolved into an award to a graduating student of SUNY Canton who is planning to continue her education at a four-year institution of higher education. Since 1991 the scholarship has been named in honor of or in memory of a local AAUW member.
AAUW Will Award Bucher Scholarship To Women (April 4, 2013)
It is with great sadness AAUW-St. Lawrence County announces the passing of member Mary L. Bucher, 59, of Canton on June 6, 2012. Mary, a graduate of Oswego Catholic High School class of 1970, earned her bachelor's degree at SUNY Oswego, a master's degree from SUNY Albany and another master's degree from St. Lawrence University. She worked 35 years as a librarian at SUNY Canton.
Mary was an active and dedicated member of the branch. She chaired the AAUW Scholarship Committee for many years. She will be missed by all who knew her and had the pleasure of working with her.
Mary's family asked that contributions may be made in Mary's memory to a charity of one's choice. The AAUW Scholarship Fund was something Mary devoted much of her time and energy to each year on our behalf.
If you would like to make a tax-deductable contribution in Mary's memory to increase our Scholarship Endowment Fund, you can write a check to Canton College Foundation and note "In Memory of Mary Bucher for the AAUW Endowed Scholarship" in the memo. Send the check to: Canton College Foundation, Inc., SUNY Canton, 34 Cornell Drive, Canton, NY 13617.
At Mary's suggest, the 2012 Scholarship was named in honor of AAUW member Faye W. White, who enjoyed a long and distinguished career at SUNY Canton.
SUNY Canton Remembers Librarian and Archivist Mary L. Bucher
Updated: April 5, 2013
AAUW Scholarhsip Winners:
- 1991- Awarded in memory of Jessie B. McNall to Karen Rick, Canton, a non-traditional student who was transferring from SUNY Canton to SLU to major in psychology.
- 1992 - In memory of Eunice Badger to Debra A. Binion, Lisbon, from Mater Dei to SUNY Potsdam, majoring in education and psychology.
- 1993 - No scholarship.
- 1994 - No scholarship.
- 1995 - In memory of Anna Grant to Brenda L. Thornton, Edwards, from SUNY Canton to Clarkson, majoring in technical communications.
- 1996 - No scholarship.
- 1997 - in memory of Laurie DeHay to Christine Fitch, Ogdensburg, from Mater Dei to Texas Wesleyan College at Fort Worth, Texas to major in psychology and counseling.
- 1999 - Two scholarships in memory of John Keefe, Jr., whose daughter, AAUW member Trudy Stacy, donated money from his bequest. One scholarship went to Ruth Hyde, Ogdensburg, from SUNY Canton to Clarkson, to major in environmental science and policy; one to Dellonay White, Brooklyn, from SUNY Canton to Rochester Institute of technology.
- 2000 - No scholarship (the year we completed our $10,000 Scholarship Endowement).
- 2001 - In memory of Nelle May Brumelle to Luella Burnett, Winthrop.
- 2002 - In memory of Judith Wagner to Amy Dafoe Bigelow, DeKalb Junction.
- 2003 - In memory of Cecilie A. Pletcher to Tammy Burgenstock, Canton.
- 2004 - In memory of Alice Kauffman to JoAimee Charleston, Potsdam.
- 2005 - In memory of Wilma "Billie" Cummins to Kevin Mace, Canton.
- 2006 - In honor of Kay Briggs to Jennifer Peck, Gouverneur, and Anna Livingston, Lisbon.
- 2007 - In memory of Sarah "Sally" Skyrm awarded to Stacy Dailey, Chase Mills, and Emma Siaw, the Bronx, NYC.
- 2008 - In memory of Anne Malone awarded to Michelle Caringi, Potsdam.
- 2009 - In memory of Fran Dixson awarded to Alissa Jatsenti, Canton, and Amanda Ellsworth, Fort Covington.
- 2010/11 - In honor of Lois Graham to LaChelle Dilcox of Ogdensburg, NY who will study Business Administration at SUNY Canton.
- 2012 - In honor of Faye W. White to Lisa Furnace of Massena.